October 27, 2018

Poem: Human Canary

Leaden skies
Heavy and sullen
Pin me to
This dying earth
An indifferent
Atmosphere
Holds me down

Climate-induced
Depression
Leaves me longing
For crisp autumn inhalations
Invigorating my steps
A gentle October sun
Illuminating the gold-veined leaves
That shine a promise
Of a vibrant spring to come

Pressed to this Earth
She, I, my body
Are one
As arthritis pains
Slow my joyous run
To a walk
Tears no longer soothe
My dry eyes
Hot flashes
Burn through me
Then leave a chill
My skin sun-attacked
No longer soothed by its warmth

I’m the canary in the coalmine
Sensing the change
The dying
My depression jolted
By agony
My tender heart
Pierced by death pangs

My love for this earth
Her creatures
Her plants
Her crazy humans
Keeps me present
This canary must live
Bear witness in my poetry
And bid farewell to
Our physical presence

2 comments:

  1. I love your powerful new poems, Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear! Thank you! It has been an interesting process, writing poems that really connect me with Mother Earth. Deeply emotional and spiritual as well as what feels like a raw honesty.

      Delete

Contact Form/Request Email Notification

Name

Email *

Message *